Tips On Early Detection Of Oral Cancer
Oral cancer is not as rare as some might think; in fact, it is estimated that about 48,330 American adults will be diagnosed with this oral issue this year. Dr. Dan Casel and his team understand the seriousness of this issue, which is why prevention and education is important.
Shining a Light on Oral Cancer
Premier Dentistry of Stuart is dedicated in making sure that our patients are aware of oral cancer because knowledge should help reduce the risk of this disease.
What Might Lead to This Type of Cancer?
There are a number of things that might lead to this issue. Take note of the following:
- The use of tobacco is definitely the number one cause of oral cancer. This does include cigarettes, cigars, pipes, or snuff.
- Drinking excessively could also put you at risk of this dreadful oral ailment.
- This might not seem dangerous, but excessive exposure to sunlight, especially without protection, could also put you at risk.
Talk to the team at Dr. Dan Casel’s office to find out more about the dangers of oral cancer, and they will be happy to educate you.
Early Signs of a Possible Issue
Knowing the signs of a possible problem is just as important as knowing what to avoid. Try to remember some of the following:
- There might be some pain near the ear or around the mouth. The pain might be more prevalent when you swallow.
- You might notice a sore or lump that will not heal. This might look like a red or white patch of skin inside your mouth.
- Ulcers are common.
- Severe coughing and enlarged neck lymph nodes could also occur.
- Bad breath might also be a symptom.
Of course, these are just some of the signs that you need to look out for. You should visit a dental specialist right away if you notice any of these signs.
How Premier Dentistry of Stuart Can Help You
Our dentistry does not take any chances because we know just how dangerous an issue could become if it is not treated early. Our team relies on several things that help with early oral cancer screening in Stuart FL. One of the best tools we have is our own expertise. The team at Dr. Casel’s office has years of experience and continued education. This teaches us the symptoms and signs to look for.
We use only the best technology to ensure that we can verify any suspicions that you or one of our specialists may have. One of the most reliable pieces of technology available is the VELscope ™. We know that issues that are detected within the early stages have a 90 percent cure rate. The Velscope in Stuart FL consists of a specialized light that helps us check on irregular growths or tissue in your mouth. The Velscope for oral cancer detection is painless, which is good news for anyone.
As you can see, there is a lot to learn about oral cancer, but you do have Dr. Dan Casel and Premier Dentistry of Stuart on your side to help you on your journey.